Planning a party or gathering with family and friends involves much thought and attention to detail. Serving alcohol beverages at your party requires extra effort to ensure they are consumed moderately and responsibly by your guests. The followiong suggestions will help you provide a safe and enjoyable environment for your guests:
- Make certain alcohol is consumed by those of legal drinking age only.
- Provide a list of local taxicab services and phone numbers to your guests.
- Always serve food with alcohol. Good food will complement the beverages your guests consume and it will moderate the effects of alcohol.
- In addition to alcohol beverages, provide a selection of other drinks for your guests, including coffee, soft drinks, fruit juice, bottled water and non-alcoholic beer.
- Never force alcoholic beverages on your guests. Spacing drinks can help guests stay within their personal limits.
- Encourage moderate consumption by deciding ahead of time the amount of alcohol beverages to include. Plan how long your event will last and calculate about one beer per hour for each guest.
- Remember, it takes one hour for the body to metabolize a 12-ounce serving of beer; therefore, you should stop serving alcohol one hour before the party ends.
- Consider hiring a professional bartender who is trained in responsible serving methods so guests do not pour their own drinks. A trained bartender will be equiped to determine whether a guest has had too much to drink.
- Be prepared to call a taxicab or provide a room in your home for a guest to stay over. Never hesitate to take the keys away from someone who has had too much to drink.
Beer Industry of Florida, Inc.’s beer distributors work hard to promote the responsible and legal consumption of malt beverage products.